Wednesday 27 February 2013

A Crack or a Knack?



I woke up this morning remembering an event in my life that happened about 11 years ago; Year 2002 to be precise. I was going to write the last paper of my ICAN (Institute of Chartered Accountants of Nigeria) professional exam and I had to travel for the morning paper from Sagamu to Abeokuta (both towns are within Ogun state in the Western part of Nigeria). Quite risky, it was a 45 minutes’ drive but I had successfully embarked on the same trip the previous day so I was sure I would make it. Alas, we had a flat tyre on our way and I got in so late for the exams; so late for an exam I had prepared so much for. Needless to say I failed that paper and it set me back for another six (6) months …..

I remember I was quite devastated when the results came out as I couldn't qualify from that diet because of that single paper. I knew that if I had not arrived late, I would have had a good chance of passing the exam as it was my most favourite course out of the four I was writing. I had been day dreaming about the day the results would be released and I would announce to the world that I had become a Chartered Accountant. Regrettably, there was a setback. I was disappointed in myself and bore the pain for a while. Yes in life there are some pains or setbacks that are self-inflicted and could be avoided; there are some that are not as a result of anything we have done. But it’s all good; God will make use of them all for His glory. Paula White in one of her tweets said “God will use what you go through to prepare you! It’s not all God sent, but it will be God used!

This morning, 11 years after, I cannot remember when last I thought about that experience. In fact the incident has become so sketchy in my mind that I struggled very hard to remember the details. Wow! Something that hit me really bad had become an insignificant issue to me, I had gotten over that setback. I have faced and triumphed over greater challenges after that and I know I would still overcome many more challenges because as long as I am alive, there would always be a challenge to confront. The good thing was that I finished the course and qualified within a year and many years after, I've added a couple of other qualifications to my Portfolio!

Now, that experience may sound so trivial and insignificant compared to whatever you may be going through, the truth is that God can never give you more than what you can handle( 2nd Corinthians 10:13) . Mother Theresa said –“I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much”.You may be experiencing a pain, loss, setback, disappointment or some form of  discouragement today; I can assure you that you will come out of it.It has an expiry date. In a while, you won’t even be remembering it and you will be a source of encouragement to others by comforting them with the comfort you have obtained from that experience. 2nd Corinthians 1:4 says “He comforts us in all our tribulation that we may be able to comfort those who are in any trouble, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God”. One of Leke Alder’s tweets says “When a crack appears on your egg, your next thought should be omelette, or sunny side up, not who to blame. See possibilities. Keep moving!


Let me leave you with this piece from the scriptures…..


Ist Peter 5: 8-11(Message Version)


Keep a cool head. Stay alert. The Devil is poised to pounce, and would like nothing better than to catch you napping. Keep your guard up. You're not the only ones plunged into these hard times. It's the same with Christians all over the world. So keep a firm grip on the faith. The suffering won't last forever. It won't be long before this generous God who has great plans for us in Christ—eternal and glorious plans they are!—will have you put together and on your feet for good. He gets the last word; yes, he does”.


Turn the Crack to a Knack.....This too shall pass!

The Pen…..


No comments:

Post a Comment