Tuesday 19 March 2013

A Raven in your Haven....


I choose to remember this morning a miraculous experience I had 12 years ago and I can’t but marvel at how God uses the most surprising ways or the least expected avenues to meet our needs. I thought to share it with someone today and I do hope it’s a source of blessing.

 I had been posted to one of the Northern states of Nigeria;  Bauchi to be precise for my mandatory 1 year National Youth Service Corps program after graduating from school. I went a bit disappointed because I was hoping to be posted to a state that was not too far from home so I could start my professional exams with the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Nigeria (ICAN) immediately after school but I determined to apply for redeployment. In those days, re-posting could only be granted on three grounds; Marriage, Health or for a compassionate reason (such as loss of a family member or relative). My reason for wanting redeployment didn't fall under any of the categories.

Reluctantly I went to camp, did the three (3) weeks orientation program and was further posted to a village which was about three (3) hours away from the capital of the city. It looked like I had been thrown farther  from my dreams. I went to the village hesitantly but I had a vision in mind; my redeployment. I came back to the capital a day after and headed straight to the NYSC state office. By an act of providence, I met with the NYSC state coordinator who told me point blank that he was not going to approve my application if it ever came to him from the Head office at Abuja. That was a major setback but I went about my business of getting somewhere to work, not losing sight of my dream.

A month after that, a friend told me He had an uncle who knew the Director General of NYSC, the man at the helms of affairs and we headed to Abuja with high hopes. We were in his office and He bluntly told us that NYSC had decided to strictly redeploy only on the three acceptable grounds hence he couldn’t help. I was distraught. If the Director General, being the number one man himself couldn’t do anything about my redeployment, then I had better forget about it.  Another month passed by and a friend suggested we go back to Abuja and see if anything could happen and I reluctantly went with her. On that fateful day in year 2001, I stood outside the gate of the NYSC office, confused and with no specific plan in mind. Then suddenly an old man, (must have been in his late 60s), one of the security guards at the gate accosted me and asked why I had been loitering around the gate area for a couple of hours. I told him how I had tried unsuccessfully to get redeployed back home so I could pursue my dream of becoming a Chartered Accountant early enough. He sounded interested in my story and he mentioned he had a son who was also pursuing the same professional qualification.

To cut the story short, he asked me to give him some minutes and went into the building. When he came out, he called my names in full and this surprised me as I had only given him my first name and surname. He said he had been with the Director of Corps Mobilisation, who was in charge of redeployment and coincidentally my application form was on top of the whole bunch of applications on the man’s table. I was shocked to say the least. He added that he told the man I was well known to him and that I needed that redeployment desperately. Right in his presence, my application was approved. It was too good to be true! He asked me to go back to my base and that within 2 weeks, I would get the letter. I sauntered to the park happy but very doubtful. In any case, my letter came after about 4 weeks and the rest is history. I got redeployed,finished my exams and qualified the year after. The most amazing thing was that I tried to contact the man after about 3 months after that experience but no one could tell of his whereabouts. Perhaps, he was an angel; in form of a security guard who made destiny happen for me at that moment!

God uses the most unlikely  people or things to meet our needs. The story I described above is one of the most amazing things that have happened  in my life; a typical case of sheer divine intervention. I am reminded of the story of the ravens that fed Elijah in the bible in 1st Kings 17. Elijah had been up and about for God and he needed to go on an assignment .God doesn't use and dump. He doesn't leave us stranded. He knew there was a need for him to be well fed so He could have stamina for the journey ahead of him. 1st Kings 17 in verse 2 says:
And the word of the Lord came unto him, saying, 3 Get thee hence, and turn thee eastward, and hide thyself by the brook Cherith, that is before Jordan.
4And it shall be, that thou shalt drink of the brook; and I have commanded the ravens to feed thee there.5 So he went and did according unto the word of the Lord: for he went and dwelt by the brook Cherith, that is before Jordan.6 And the ravens brought him bread and flesh in the morning, and bread and flesh in the evening; and he drank of the brook.

Ravens are scavengers. They eat berries, fruit, insects, bread and carrion (the flesh of dead animals). They sometimes kill small birds and mammals such as rabbits and rats. Despite their negative image and as stingy as they could be, God in this case used them to feed Elijah His prophet day and night. After this encounter, He made an arrangement for a widow who had absolutely nothing, except for some flour with which she was going to feed herself and her son to feed this same man. 1st Kings 17: 8“And the word of the Lord came unto him, saying, 9Arise, get thee to Zarephath, which belongeth to Zidon, and dwell there: behold, I have commanded a widow woman there to sustain thee. He rained manna and quails for the Israelites to feed on, brought water out of the rock for them. Isn't He just amazing?

Most times, we look to the wrong sources but let's not forget that God is able to direct whomsoever He wills to be a source of blessing to us. A lot of times, people disappoint us, not deliberately but  because they are also not all-knowing or all-wise just as you and I are not. No one has the infinite capability to help as He does. Psalm 145: 16-17 says -The eyes of all look expectantly to You, and You give them their food in due season. 16 You open Your hand and satisfy the desire of every living thing. God is very much interested in our well-being (Psalm 35:27) and He wishes above all that we prosper and be in health. He’s concerned about our feeding, clothing, prosperity, marriage,  children, EVERYTHING! He had planted and equipped the Garden of Eden for Adam before He even existed. Adam came into the scene just to co-ordinate things. There are higher demands for our existence in life. There are yet many books to be written, codes to be developed, designs to be made, cars to be built, aircrafts to be assembled, lives to be influenced and so on. We are created to operate in the same capacity God operates in. We possess such a great creative inspiration and mind-blowing divine tendencies. We are dynamites!

Yes in life, there are a lot of struggles and most times we have to labour so much to breakthrough but that is not God’s idea for His children. His blessings make rich and adds no iota of sorrow to it.  If He cares for the birds of the air, such that none of them falls to the ground without His knowledge, how much more His own children, created in His image? The basic things of life such as food, clothing and shelter are so trivial and are the least on the pyramid even on Maslow’s Law of Hierarchy. These Physiological needs are just the physical requirements for human survival.  I know what the absence of these things could mean but my point is there is more to us and there are much more important things to make out of life.

If a security guard could make my redeployment pursuit possible after the Director General of the organisation had said a No No, then there are no limits to what God can do. When He says yes, none can say no. When He opens a door, none can close it.Whatever He ordains, He sustains! He is the one that rules in the affairs of the universe.

Yes, I am certain He can send a Raven to your Haven! Would you trust Him enough?

It’s a blessed day people, expect the miraculous touch.....

The Pen….






No comments:

Post a Comment